If you want to be taken seriously as a good writer, you can’t do better than send your pitches to people that clearly have no interest in them or in your business. Like the guide to installing swimming pools that I’ve been asked to push to my teacher readership.
I work for an educational charity. We work mainly with schools in the UK, helping them with curriculum delivery around politics, law and society. Today, I received this email:
My name is Jason and I run a swimming pool supplies business. Writing is as much a passion of mine, as my business is, and the two often cross paths. I have ghost written a number of articles and have been published in reputed home improvement journals.
I am keen to feature a guest post on you blog as it would do wonders for my portfolio as a writer. I realized it was time I stopped ghost-writing for others and built an online reputation for myself. Here are a few ideas that I feel you will like:
1) How to Replace the Light in Your Pool Without a Hassle
2) Things to Remember When Buying Chemicals for Your Pool
3) Which is better: Propane or Natural Gas Pool Heaters?
4) 10 Tips for Buying Yourself a Really Great Hot Tub
5) Why a Spa at Home Can be a Blessing In Disguise
6) 10 Reasons Why You Should Buy a Robotic Pool Cleaner Today
7) A Guide on Choosing the Right Pool Cleaner
8) Why a Salt Sanitization System is Important for Your Hot Tub/ Spa
9) Helpful Tips on Combating Pool Algae
10) 10 Things You Should do to if You Care for Your Hot Tub
11) How to Install an Above Ground Pool Without a Hassle
12) Which Swimming Pool Filter System Should You Buy?
I would be glad to write an article on any of the above topics and am open to any ideas or suggestions that you might have.
I hope your reply is in the positive, so your readers get the opportunity to benefit from what I have to say.
Well, Jason, I’ll see what I can do. I’m sure many of the poor urban schools we deal with will be grateful to know how to install a swimming pool in their reception area.
Kids are often knocking each other’s lights out, so tips on light replacement could be very handy. I’m not sure we should be encouraging an interest in chemicals though.
I’m told natural gas is already pretty abundant in teen environments, so that may not be an issue either.
And I’m glad you think our blog could ‘do wonders’ for your portfolio because that is, of course, why we’re here. We wouldn’t be fulfilling our charitable objectives if we didn’t promote the arbitrary, unrelated commercial interests of people we’ve never heard of.
So, send me your blog post, by all means. I’ve nothing better to do than reply to you and commission stuff I don’t want. But remember, editorial control rests with me.